Tuesday 28 January 2014

Font Choice

I am going to sample and assess a variety of fonts to see which one would work well in regards to coverlines and subheadings. I plan to draw my masthead and later scan it and apply Photoshop to it to make it a more original font, however I still need a style for basic text.

I don't want to use a font like this one (Lucinda Handwriting) as I think a handwritten/calligraphy font would be too informal and distracting, and it may also be difficult to read. I think a printed font would work much better.

The font above demonstrates Helvetica, which I think would work well especially for the double page spread/interview as it is easy to read and understand. It's simple and is used regularly by other publications.


This is example font is a font I will consider using for my magazine. Unlike the fonts used in many current magazines, this font is quite formal and seems quite eye catching and I believe it was attract attention.

This example is Century Gothic. I like this font as it's simple and easy to read, although it looks formal, I think it would look aesthetically pleasing on a double page spread and the contents page.

The above font example is called Adobe Fan Heiti and I think it's similar to Century Gothic, it's formal while at the same time connotes informality, but not too much. It is likely that I would use this font in my magazine on either the double page spread or contents page.


No comments:

Post a Comment